Sunday, March 9, 2014

Intelligent Disobedience

She took the trolley and climbed down these stairs to make it to her appointment.
The GPS device told her to turn right and head down this path
GPS did not tell her ahead of time about the traffic noise and speeding cars that dominate this busy section of road.  The device didn't warn her about  the river to the right or the stretch of road hugging a freeway with  no sidewalk on that side. No big deal.  She would see it when she got there.


Only she could not see any of this.  She was blind.  I watched from the opposite direction as she tried in vain to cross this road.  Following the directions of the GPS, she grew slightly frustrated and cross with her companion and his tenacious refusal to proceed across the road.  The rain fell, winds swirled and cars sped dangerously through the slick streets on this Friday in February.  She wanted to get there!  Her stubborn companion held his ground with dogged determination. 

"Fine!" she said.  

She turned to walk away in the opposite direction.  She was very quick.

 I could read her companion's body language.

 "Woman, just listen to me!"  

He rushed to block her way before she fell into the rushing stream.


She implored him to move, but he refused.  Finally resigned, she calmly allowed her friend to lead her where he wanted to go.
 
He didn't argue or boast about being right.  He was the perfect gentleman.  What a handsome guy he was!  How could he remain so calm in the face of her emotions and not respond with an outburst of exasperation of his own?  

Because he was a beautiful, sweet-spirited, highly trained, intelligent dog!  And someone took him as a puppy, loved and raised him for a year, then returned him (no doubt in a bittersweet moment of sacrifice) to learn to be a guide dog.  I give thanks for this person, the people who trained him and his current mistress.  She had to learn to allow him to guide her and trust him.

How did he recognize the south side of the street held no crosswalk?  What made him realize the only safe path was the north side of the street?  To see him in action was amazing and awe inspiring.   He practiced intelligent disobedience, which is the opposite of blind conformity.

It was such a kick in the arse opportunity for gratitude.   Heading back from lunch, I was lost in a little shit show moment of sadness.  A couple of disappointments that week and a misunderstanding with someone I love dearly weighed on me.  Then I saw the everyday struggle this woman endures.  Sight is something we take for granted.  Her blindness reminded me to see what a gift we have in all of our senses, talents, friends, family and amazing creatures on this earth.  

I'm not going to pretend I won't have a few more shit show moments in the future.  I'm human.  I just hope I continue to remember this moment of clarity.  I want my silly, sensitive psyche to engage in intelligent disobedience and guide me to the intersection of gratitude and awe.

1 comment: