Sunday, December 13, 2015

Playing Possum

Ever since Emily went away, several animals have crept into my space.  First  Oye the one eared feral started coming by.  Oye and I have a perfect relationship.  I respect him, give him some of my space, and he expects nothing and gives nothing.  PUUUUURfect!  (Bad pun.)

Right now I don't have the will or capacity to love another animal.  Peripheral is good.  Surface is good.  I think it applies to other aspects of mi vida right now if I'm honest.  It feels like nothing could compare to that love.  Just owning that and living with it for a bit seems both authentic and safe.

One night in the little shack of a laundry room, I heard some creeping.  Figuring it was Oye, imagine my surprise when a juvenile possum crept past until he spied me standing there, thong skivvies (clean I might add) pressed against my mouth as I stifled a horrified scream.  He immediately froze.  I turned off the light, left the laundry and called my Daddy.

Daddy advised leaving the door open overnight and then closing it in the am to keep the little varmint away.  But I kept thinking about his little face and how he really wasn't bothering me.  He was just looking for a shelter. I decided I would allow him to share my space and let him come and go as he pleased.

I knew he was still around as I would occasionally hear him shuffling.  It made me smile to hear him waking up for his nocturnal travels.

Last week,  I bought some dollar store plastic zombies for a Christmas Prank at the office.  They needed to be soaked in water for a week to expand.  They also glow in the dark.

Sat am, I checked them, pleased to see they were almost ready to go.  I left them overnight and went out.  I went to retrieve them Sunday a.m.   The bucket was tipped over and all the zombies were gone.

I joked that the possum ate them.  It turns out, he did eat them!  I found a decapitated zombie and another glowing fella missing a leg.  I feel sooooo bad.  And that CAN'T be good for my little friend.

A call to Wildlife Rescue and a referral to the Possum Lady of El Cajon confirmed that IF my little friend is still alive after consuming 18 GMO glowing plastic toys, the only hope of helping him is to trap him and bring him in.

And casual as we keep it, I still want the best for him.  He kinda grew on me. Just a little.  Okay, I've been crying some.  Stupid animal.  Fuck!

So I'm on my way to borrow a trap and buy some cat food.

Here's hoping he'll grow and glow some more in this crazy life.








4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry what started as your goodwill ended like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See below.... And thanks for reading 💓😊

      Delete
  2. Good news!!!!! Awesome Possum was safely trapped and the rescue is checking him out. He's a young juvenile. As soon as he is stable, he can be released back here to roam...��

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the data you percentage here. Online Essay Help Writing That is real suitable for the readers because the content on this web sites may be very informative
    gclub

    ReplyDelete